Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Wylde Green on the Rise and Grind! Wales to England (Week 20 - Second Area Wylde Green, Sutton Coldfield, England)

this week has been a long week, like really long. I've been feeling sick for the past 48 hours and then bam! transfer calls. elder miner will be headed to cardiff and I'll be headed to the wylde green ward which is in Sutton Coldfield ENGLAND! The church building is right next to the mission home so should be a sick transfer! I'll be serving with Elder Clayton from Utah. I'll talk more about it later in the email.

last Monday was pretty sick! there was a Boxing Day soccer game with the ward, it was like the turkey bowl back home! I got wrecked! I suck at soccer! Haha, but I did get to play basketball which I was better at! After emailing we went over to Royston's house for a nice dinner! He made Brussels sprouts taste amazing, miracle worker!!

tuesday we started out by going to the church to help clean it, then we had to wait forever to catch a bus to the Robert's to say goodbye to Will, who went to America a few days later. the buses sucked on tuesday because it was a bank holiday and we had to wait like 25 minutes for a bus to the Roberts from near the church. Not gonna lie, didn't really want to work but we pushed through and knocked some doors and we got a few return appointments set up! when you show god that you are willing to go the extra mile, he blesses you for it! we went over and said goodbye to will, then ran to the train station to catch a train to Newport because we had to stay there so we could go to the mission tour early the next morning.

after about two hours of sleep, I got up super early on Wednesday morning to get ready and then took a train to the mission tour in Cheltenham where Elder Paul Johnson came to speak to us, that was pretty sick, he's such a good speaker, I left totally motivated! he gave a talk in the April general conference on how we will be able to live with our families forever in the next life, and after he was done speaking I went up to him and spoke to him for a bit about how my mom passed away and we talked about my mom and his daughter who passed away, we also shared with each other how knowledge of eternal families has brought us so much joy, definitely my favourite part of the day, not too often that you get to have a personal conversation with a general authority. Miner and Holbrook drove us back to Swansea, and on the way we listened to Dating 911 by John Bytheway, and it was hilarious, a total Utah Mormon thing and it was so funny! pretty good day!

thursday was a slow day, a good day, but a slow one. we did some knocking doors mixed throughout the day and found a few cool people who invited us back to talk more so hopefully that'll work out. we saw the less active guy who use to be a bishop and stuff, he is super cool, only a matter of time until he comes back to church. we also got dinner with kxxx which was fun. it was a good day, but it felt like it took forever haha

Friday wasn't the best day at all everything we had planned pretty much blew up in our faces. But we did have some good parts to the day, we were going knocking doors and the first door we knocked on a guy answered and was super cool, he lives in Liverpool but we gave him a Book of Mormon and he committed to reading it which got me super hyped, after that we found a sick park and took some videos there! not much else except sports night after.

Saturday was decent, we did a lot of finding with not a lot of success. No one really was down to talk cuz it was New Year's Eve, we had to be in by 6:00 and then we just had to hangout at our flat, I felt super sick around 8:00 and I just passed out by 11.

Sunday was decent, not a bad day, but just one that dragged on, I felt sick on and off. We were able to go to sacrament meeting but after first hour I felt sick again so we went back to the flat. At night we got "dodge calls" where we find out where people are going for transfers, like I said at the beginning I'll be going to Wylde Green Ward!

This week was both good and bad, it really had every emotion. I have no idea what to expect for the future transfers, I'm torn to be leaving Swansea, this place will always have a special place in my heart, and I honestly have tears in my eyes writing this, I never thought I'd grow to love a place and a people so much ever, but I'm looking forward to the future out here and hopefully it all goes well! 

Well I almost forgot a spiritual thought so I'll share a quote that's been running through my head non stop from Elder Wirthlin, "COME WHAT MAY AND LOVE IT". In life we can go through unexpected trials that bring us anxiety and heart ache, but as we turn towards the gospel in all aspects of our life, we can feel joy in any situation, whatever may come, love it. Christ will be with you every step of the way. His love is unfailing.

This is my last email in WALES for a while, I'll finally be in England, keep me in your prayers because I'm pretty nervous about it. I love you guys. Have a lit week! I'll try to do the same. 

hwyl fawr cymru,

Elder Varner

video 1: cool park slide
vid 2: sports night
pic 1: mtc mini reunion
pic 2: quick pic before will left for the promised land!
pic 3: out for dayzzzz
pic 4: farewell to the fishes today









No comments:

Post a Comment