Monday, June 12, 2017

cardiff on the rise and grind! (Week 43 Wylde Green, England, transfer to Rhiwbina, Wales)

Family and friends,

What's on the up and up guys! I do have to start this out with some major bday shoutouts! Happy birthday this week to my mom, sister Halle, my brotha Jake, my grandma Alice, my cousin Troy, and my uncle Jeff! Sorry if I missed out on anyone! But I love you guys and hope you have a fantastic birthday!

This last week was a total rager here in Wylde Green, I don't know how it could've been a better week to end on! So I'll just include a few of the many cool things that happened this past week like...elder Kinard and I were about to go knocking doors in an area somewhat near the chapel when all of the sudden I felt like we needed to branch out and knock doors in an area we hadn't gone to in ages, so we were walking around in this random part of our area which we weren't too familiar with, and we passed a street called Hanson Bridge, I thought of one of my friends whose name is hanson and after a few minutes since passing it, I felt strongly we needed to knock that street. A few doors in and some guy with no shirt opens the door and said he was sleeping cuz he was sick, well we get talking and he's had some amazing experiences with the church in the past when he lived in Hong Kong, in fact he believed everything about the restoration and said his only concern was the question "why do bad things happen to good people?" Well we have the answer to that! We set up a time for this upcoming week to meet up with him, probably the most solid return appointment I've made on my mission.

Another kinda funny thing, we were walking to the train station and we started talking to this guy who is big into acting in local plays, turns out he is John Bytheway's (Mormon speaker) second or third cousin. We met with him later on in the week and it went pretty well, he gave us Indian Tonic Water. It was by far the worst thing I've had to drink on my mission, just acting like it tasted good and then he gave us a litre of it which we used to prank pj and aiden! 

We had district meeting in Walsall which was nice, did exchanges with elder hill which was fun as always. We were knocking doors and this 16 year old kid let us into his house and we were starting to get into the discussion when all of the sudden his mom walks in, pretty surprised to see two American missionaries in her kitchen, and she ended up politely kicking us out, it was interesting to say the least.

On Saturday I was asked to give a 10 minute talk the next day in church, usually I wouldn't stress to much over that, but when the topic is on the importance of Sunday school attendance, I had absolutely no clue where to even start. After a ton of preparation I think I did a pretty good talk, I should get a medal for giving a 10 minute talk on that. If you wanna read it email me and I'll send it to you!

Notable mentions:
-we did some service for brother Owen and his work which was cleaning out an abandoned house, which had a sick backyard. We left out scrap metal in the front yard and there were like 3 random guys with trucks who showed up and all wanted the metal. I felt like I was in the drug cartel for metal...
-it was week one of Japanese June for the young men so we had a culture night and ate a bunch of Japanese food!

Sorry for making you all read this far to find out the transfer info! So I'll be moving to Rhiwbina Wales tomorrow! It's right next to Cardiff which is the capital of wales. I'll be follow up training elder mason, from Utah, so I'm pretty excited! I was even more hyped to hear that the hoop sessions are unreal there because they have a full basketball court so I'm gonna be balling up even more! Can't hold me back!

Elder Saban said in the last general conference "When we are fully committed and “all in,” heaven shakes for our good. When we are lukewarm or only partially committed, we lose out on some of heaven’s choicest blessings." Don't be only partially in on following Jesus Christ! Be all in! Change whatever you need to change to be all in, blessings and happiness will follow as you commit to being all in, in all you do!

I love you guys and hope you have a lit week cuz I know I'm about to! ðŸ˜˜

Elder Varner

pics 1-2: squad up
pics 3-4: scrap metal cartel
pic 4: the fells
pic 5: bruce robertson
pic 6: johnbytheways cousin
pic 7: sick church in sutton
pic 8: YM
pic 9: walmley golf club
pic 10: the pughs
pic 11: danny 

video 1: japanese june













No comments:

Post a Comment