Monday, February 19, 2018

i actually got hit by a car (Week 78, Leicester, Elder Stock)

well this week was even weirder than last week. it was packed from start to finish and I hit 18 months of being in the UK. by far the hardest 18 months of my life, but the best 18 months. words really can’t describe the last 18 months. to find out more about the title of this email,  you gotta read to the end...
here’s a few highlights from the last week:
  • football golf last Monday. your boy DV shot 4 over par ⛳⚽
  • we were unlocking our bikes last Monday evening in city centre and some drunk guy came up to us and started speaking another language at us, then he put his hand on my bike and said it was his bike, we did a stare off for like 5 seconds and then he bailed. guess I’m just too intimidating for him
  • we had zone conference which was heavily focused on using the book of mormon 
  • we ate dinner on Valentine’s Day at a newly wed’s house, but it wasn’t as awkward as you think it’d be
  • met with rxxxyan, he’s had a rough week, but he recognises that the days he prays are always better so we’ve called him at 7am to pray with him-cool deal
  • did the Book of Mormon highlighting method at the uni and had tons of “good touches”
  • on Friday I went to Birmingham for my ‘self reliance’ meeting which is a meeting for people going home within six months and preps them for readjusting into normal life and school-got some 5 guys shakes to celebrate 18 months out here
  • we were talking to people and I made eye contact with some guy who looked at the Book of Mormon and then back at me, and crossed his chest, I don’t know if he was cursing us or praying for us, but I’m guessing he has no clue what we believe
  • read 1 nephi 1 with fxxxawzi
  • BREAKING NEWS: this morning I walked into McDonald’s with elder kataja and some woman approached us asking if we had some time, we said we did and she took us over to a table to taste test 2 new products for McDonald’s and we got to take a survey for it and we even got paid for it! #highlyfavoured or should I say it was #highlyflavoured

president Thomas S. Monson once said “The Savior taught His disciples, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.” I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives. Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and figuratively lose their lives, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish--and in effect save their lives.” This week I had a few moments where I felt so unmotivated and so crappy but each time I forgot about myself and served someone else, my problems seemed to dissolve. So whenever you are struggling, some good old fashioned service might be the answer to your problem.

and yes I did get hit by a car. I was riding my bike and I looked to see if I could cross a mini side road and a car turned into it WITHOUT flippin signaling and he didn’t even slow down. next thing I knew I was on the ground, and the homie just drove off, luckily it wasn’t too bad but sister Leppard told me to go to the ER, they x-rayed my elbow which was in a lot of pain and luckily nothing was broken, I’m all good, just pretty shaken up and sore. seriously don’t worry I’m totally fine, I was out working within a few hours of getting hit. and there were so many tender mercies along the way. god placed people in my path to help me and it could have been a lot worse, oh and my bike is fine!

elder stock is ducing out tomorrow to wales and I’m getting an elder kade Johnson, I’ve met him once and he’s legit, it’s gonna be one lit transfer out here in Leicester! I love you guys! If you made it this far, double golden star for you.

Elder Varner














No comments:

Post a Comment