Monday, September 4, 2017

the book of mormon has arrived! (Week 55, Rhwibina, Cardiff, Wales, Elder Yim)

hello, my name is elder varner, and i would like to share with you the most amazing book. well for those of you who have seen the book of mormon play* then you get that reference! the play is kicking off in london and they are advertising it EVERYWHERE! we are gonna get so many questions from those who go and see it soon!

wise chav advice of the week
*riding our bikes to get to somewhere in Ely (ft us and 15 chav kids on bikes*
us: "Hey how are you doing?" (as we are riding past them)
chav kids: "don't wear a helmet, BE A HELMET!"

words to live by...this week wasn't anything too crazy but it was a really good week! everyone was sick this week with colds: members, investigators, and me haha but it's all good cuz we found a few really cool uni students that we are seeing tonight and I got some high hopes! I found out last night that I'll be staying here in Rhiwbina with elder yim for anotha six weeks! Sister Ackley is leaving and our district is getting sister Olsen, we are hyped for this upcoming transfer cuz we have some amazing stuff ahead in this area!

 we worked in Ely again this week, always nice to be in the hood, we befriended a few 12 year old chav kids which was interesting. We told them how the peace sign backwards in America is totally ok (doing that here is flipping someone off) and then we left and knocked on a door of this African family and the kids were standing at the fence and they did the peace sign backwards at one of the girls who was at the door and she grabbed a shoe and chased that chav! It was so random, Ely, what a place.

we had a mission conference last Thursday with elder De Feo of the seventy. It was a great meeting and he talked a lot about melting hard hearts and the mantle of being a missionary. We truly are witnesses of Jesus Christ in all things, in all places, at all times. As members we need to always stand as a witness of Christ. It was sweet to see more people from my group again as well!

I came across a quote that I just love so much and I wanted to share it with all of you, to those religious friends of mine and also my non religious homies. Gordon B Hinckley once said "Many of you think you are failures. You feel you cannot do well, that with all of your effort it is not sufficient. We all worry about our performance. We all wish we could do better. But unfortunately we do not realize, we do not often see the results that come of what we do. You never know. You never know whether you do any good. You never know how much good you do." I know for me personally, I've felt like I haven't helped a lot of people recently, and I felt pretty down about that and how the work has been pretty slow here with friends of ours and members. And coming across this quote really changed my perspective. I know that as we do our best, even when our efforts don't seem to be doing much in whatever it may be, we are touching and changing lives. I hope and pray that I continue to be an effective tool of the Lord's in helping others around me.

also a major happy birthday to T-CHAZZY today and congrats [to Taylor Lewis on your call to FRANCE]!!! hope you have a great day! You're awesome! All of you are awesome and I flippin love you all! Now go find someone who is going through a hard time, someone who is ill, lonely, sad, and go serve them!

Elder Varner















No comments:

Post a Comment