Monday, May 1, 2017

#stayingforafourth (Week 37, Wylde Green, England)

what's good guys,

thanks to everyone who emailed last week. you guys are the best and I love you all! So transfer calls came yesterday and I'm...staying another transfer with elder Kinard! Third one with him and fourth in this area! Elder Hill is getting elder scanlan, he was here a few weeks ago if you check out my older emails. And two sisters are moving into the district. Elder Campbell is going to the promised land of wales, and I was called as DL for the district, which I'm both excited for, and way nervous for. But I'm excited for the opportunity to grow and help others and also be humbled. This upcoming transfer should be LIT!

I was expecting to leave this area so I'm pretty excited to get another one here. We worked super hard this last week and we found eight new people to teach for this upcoming week and a few of them are wayyy solid. More to come soon on that! We did a lot of knocking doors this last week and it went a lot better than usual. During district finding I went knocking with elder hill and we played this game where the other person tells you a word to say while talking to someone on the doorstep, so the first one for me was the word grape. This lady answered and I opened by saying "how are you doing?" She responded. And I went in to complete the challenge and said "that's grape!" I don't think she even noticed, but that game keeps me way more enthusiastic while at the door. I had several really cool experiences this week with following promptings so I thought I'd share one, so we had like twenty minutes to knock some doors and we had to pick which end of the street to start on because we wouldn't have time to do it all, I felt like we should knock on one end of it and the first door we knocked, the guy invited us to come back this week and he was pretty interested in the Book of Mormon. I'm so happy that I was able to not only recognise that prompting, but also act on it. As elder Rasband said in conference, act on every prompting. 

We got to play volleyball with all the youth on Tuesday night which was a blast, this ward is amazing, and the youth are so cool. I could stay here my whole mission and I'd be loving life. Before volleyball we also went with elder Bowen and opiekens, the zone leaders, to a sweet dessert place which is coincidentally called "Sweet!" We also found an amazing chicken place called Piri Fino! It kinda reminds me of the Habit from back home but chicken instead of burgers! Being in there reminded me of all the times I grabbed grub with the homie chad boberg before the mish! Also a major bday shoutout to him this week! And to my cousin dallin! Hope you both have baller birthdays!

The weather was flipping weird this last week. We had all four seasons, it was hot sometimes, and then it snowed. On Tuesday it was pretty nice in the morning and then we were walking up to the train station later on, and it started snowing/hailing so hard. I could hardly see in front of me. It felt like the blizzard in monsters inc at the end. But overall I'd pick snow/hail over rain any day.

I gave a talk in church on missionary work and how there is no better service than sharing the gospel with others. Every fifth Sunday in this ward is missionary themed so I spoke, elder kinard spoke, and elder vieter spoke! Again I love this ward and the members in it! We had dinner appointments six days last week and again this week! Shoutout to all the people who fed us last week: the masons, pj/Sonia, the fells, the hammonds, Danny, and the OGradys, and the Pughs! The only bad thing that's happening is my stomach is just awful, I'm never actually sick, but I always feel crappy and the lansoprazole isn't doing much, but I'm seeing the doctor next week so hopefully it'll get figured out soon. I just need to have faith and patience. I think of when Jospeh smith was in prison, he had done nothing wrong, but was in some of the worst of conditions. He asked God where he was hiding. He felt so alone and so abandoned. Then the lord told him "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment" and "know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." We all have trials in life, we all have times where we feel like we are totally alone and there is no hope, but because of Jesus Christ we can endure those trials and eventually everything will work for good for us if we are faithful. Enduring to the end is the hardest thing we are asked to do, but we aren't alone.

Much love to you all from the happiest missionary in England,

Elder Varner

pics 1-3: the crew in its final week
pic 4: FHE with the masons
pic 5: the ogradys
pics 6-7: "sweet!" with the homies opeikens and bowen
pics 8-9: sick views
video 1: monopoly champion 

Sent from my iPad















No comments:

Post a Comment