Monday, September 26, 2016

I Almost Got Hit By A Car (Week 6)

September 26, 2016


This week was a good one, it went by super fast, and we had some miracles too, which are always nice to have.

There's a lot of great food in Wales, the chocolate is amazing, I've had good chicken, etc. But I'm not gonna sugarcoat this, the U.K. Is absolutely awful at hamburgers, I've had five hamburgers In the last month and only one of them has been good. That was as of last Friday, but last Saturday, I tasted a hamburger that tasted American, I was so stoked, it was......Burger King. Glad to know that some things taste the same!

Picking up right where I left off, after emailing some members brought our whole district some cottage pie, which is meat, carrots, and mashed potatoes. It was pretty good. One of the best moments of my mission to this date came Monday night at our flat: I have been expecting some big spiritual moment to happen, and I was kind of disappointed that I hadn't had one to the date, but I realised that the spirit works In simpler ways, like small feelings of assurance and even gut feelings, and when I realised this, I was so happy. It changed my perspective a lot! For all of you who are waiting for that big spiritual manifestation, please look closely, the spirit works In simply beautiful ways. As a quote one of my mtc teachers said earlier on, the gospel is simply beautiful and beautifully simple.

Tuesday we knocked so many fetching doors, no real success but there's some ahead. Um we had ward coordination, which was pretty much like district meetings. We came up with who was what Disney character. The sister missionaries decided I was either Russell from the movie Up (which is somewhat insulting haha) or christoff from Frozen (which is more acceptable). I love my district so much. We had a dinner appointment at a members house, and they fed us so fetching much, like too much, I felt like I was gonna be sick after, and it was good food, but I felt so sick, I just ate and ate and ate...after that me and elder Mthethwa knocked some more doors after, not much success, but we had a fun night.

Wednesday, wow 5 weeks already. We went to go visit a less active and she was super cool, she said she doesn't come on Sunday's cuz her 8 year old son doesn't like it so we have to work with that, but nice family. We met with a cool chef guy named Dxxx, which was sweet. Nothing else really for the day.

Thursday we had our district meeting, which was fun, we all got kfc after which was pretty sweet. We met with Axxxn and he's excited for church! We went over to some Chinese guys house. We knocked his door the day before and he said come back Thursday and he'd make us dinner, best Chinese food ever, the guy (jxx) said that the Chinese girls he rooms with don't eat ice cream cuz they have to be slim, one of his girl roommates hit him, which was hilarious.

Friday, we taught Dxxxn the plan of salvation, he's reading the Book of Mormon a ton, it's inspiring me to be more diligent in reading it. Me and another greenie went and talked to people on the street, jeez that didn't go well, I have room to grow, a lot. We played volleyball at night and brother Roberts, the first counsellor In the bishopric, and his son who is a recent rm came. Super fun! They offered to take us to fish n chips next week! Also huge miracle: me and the other elders of my district were standing around In the city center, and a lady came up to us out of nowhere and asked for the Book of Mormon, she said she was praying to see missionaries today and sure enough, four of us were there. I'm hyped!

Saturday, I got some music on my usb that I can listen to, lots of Disney music. I hated high school musical so much back home, like so much, but listening to it here has made me actually like the music, which might sound crazy haha. Not much else happened to be honest.

Sunday, we went to church and Aaron came and liked it! I taught a lesson during second hour on trials, and to put extra pressure on me the first counsellor in the mission presidency was there visiting our ward, but it went really well. For those of you who were in my seminary class, up the lesson was like that. I love the members here so flipping much. The ward mission leader, Jared hull, and Shaun fish are two of the coolest guys ever. We visited some members and met a lady named Pxxx, who seemed super interested in what we had to say, should be good!

If any of you liked Ballidino by Atlas Genius, another good song I've listened to is "The Pit" by Dan Reynolds. He's the lead singer of my favorite band, he wrote it on his mission and it's about helping his friend overcome sin, it's pretty good! 

Now why did I name this email how I did? Because every fetching day I almost get hit by a car because I don't know what fetching side of the road to look out for. I had two crazy close calls, but don't worry, I'm still here, but if I wasn't at least I'd be in a better place where the political election wasn't a joke and where byu didn't lose to Utah. I fetching hate losing to Utah, I won't let that happen when I'm at byu, no way.

A quick spiritual thought to end it: President Monson spoke of choices last general conference, where he said "It has been said that the door of history turns on small hinges, and so do people’s lives. The choices we make determine our destiny...the path we follow in this life leads to our destination in the next life...may we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong. As we contemplate the decisions we make in our lives each day--whether to make this choice or that choice--if we choose Christ, we will have made the correct choice" I love this quote, if we focus on Christ, and make decisions with him in mind, we will always be in the right. Each choice matters, it is thoughts that each choice doesn't matter that leads to sorrow. I hope and pray that we may all have the courage to choose the harder right, rather than the easier wrong. Also, general conference is this Saturday and Sunday! You can watch at lds.org! Do it!

Thank you so much for the emails and for being the amazing friends and family that you are, I love you all and i hope you have the best week!



Elder Varner




No comments:

Post a Comment