Monday, May 14, 2018

kick start! (Week 90, Stourbridge, England, Elder Odle)

week 91: kick start!

hey everyone! first off it was so great talking to the fam and josh yesterday, last skype call! also a happy Mother’s Day shoutout to all you awesome moms out there! I’m grateful for having two awesome moms, one of whom is out here constantly with me and to my awesome mom over across the pond who’s done a ton for me!

before jumping into my new area, we stopped by the Leicester tigers rugby stadium and the Leicester city football stadium. while we were visiting the football stadium gift shop I asked one of the workers if they gave tours, to which he said they usually did but not on bank holidays. we got talking and he heard my american accent, and he said to me “well you’ve come a long way, I’ll take you down to the pitch” so he took us down to the flipping field for this top level premier team and it was so sick! got a few pics as well!

with help from angels I made it to Stourbridge with my two heavy bags and my bike, I’m pretty confident I’ll never have to travel with so much again haha. at the Leicester train station I actually met a really cool family visiting from Southern California and they were so nice to me, that was a major tender mercy. we’ve been at it working this last week! stourbridge is a little town on the outskirts of Birmingham, the ward only has about 30 people and to be honest, it’s struggling a lot, a ton of people have gone less active over the past few years because of a controversial bishop, BUT they just called a new bishop and some big plans are being put in action to kick start this dying ward! I’m excited for some of the stuff ahead!

here’s some random stuff:
  • we balled out with two random guys and no joke I was just draining three after three after three, it was some of the best shooting I’ve ever done
  • we each prayed and picked 10 streets one day and we got 2 in common, we then, after further inferring of the lord, picked one, we knocked one long side and nothing too notable occurred, but when we went back to the other side we ran into an African lady working on her lawn, so we offered her our help and I was on the ground working hard on the garden and elder odle was teaching her about the Book of Mormon, that’s the dream team right there! we will be back again soon

lots of good touches this past week. here’s a thought I’ve shared before but I came across it as I was in Alma 34 this week. President Eyring once said “There is a danger in the word someday when what it means is “not this day.” “Someday I will repent.” “Someday I will forgive him.” “Someday I will speak to my friend about the Church.” “Someday I will start to pay tithing.” “Someday I will return to the temple.” “Someday …” The scriptures make the danger of delay clear. It is that we may discover that we have run out of time. The God who gives us each day as a treasure will require an accounting. We will weep, and He will weep, if we have intended to repent and to serve Him in tomorrows which never came or have dreamt of yesterdays where the opportunity to act was past. This day is a precious gift of God. The thought “Someday I will” can be a thief of the opportunities of time and the blessings of eternity.”

there’s no better time to do something than NOW! now is the time to change, now is the time to tell someone that you love them, now is the time to forgive, to serve, to sacrifice. 

i love you all and hope you have a legen-wait for it-dary, legendary week!

Elder Varner 









No comments:

Post a Comment